I am not going to apologize for not blogging. I've done that enough.
Instead, here are 15 things I want to share with you since my last posting.
1. His name is Milo. And we couldn't be happier to say we're adopting him. (I can't show his face until the adoption is final.)
2. Milo had his 1st birthday in May. (Yes, it's been that long. I already feel bad about it. Don't make it worse.) It was Dodger baseball themed, full of family and friends, hot dogs and nachos, cotton candy and cracker jacks, and prayer and laughter. It was a good, hot day.
3. This past spring, Susan moved out (tears and smiles) to start a new adventure. And Milo moved into his big boy room. We're working on his room right now, my inspiration. We miss Susan. She brought laughter, wisdom, and fizzy gluten free cookies. There are so many times that I have said, "I wish Susan was here to see/hear/laugh at this." I miss her dearly.
4. I got a part time dream job. I am now the "Early Childhood Director" in the Children's Ministry department of our church. It's pretty much an answer to prayer I didn't even pray.
5. Michael, being a man of his word, took me to the Hollywood Bowl this summer. Good food, friends, wine + Hollywood Bowl = perfect summer night.
(photo by jen burkhardt via Instagram)
6. I got lost in audiobooks this summer. My favorite one that I plan to read again and again was this. Although I really enjoyed this, and this, and this one too. I seriously can't do dishes, vacuum, or mop without a good book between my ears. (Don't dwell on how weird that sounded, just move right along.)
7. Milo went from getting around by doing this
to mainly doing this.
8. My baby is walking. Whaaaa! Oh wait, Milo can you go get that for Mommy? Thank you. That was convenient.
9. Michael and I took the whole family (Milo, Dexter, and Toby) camping to Hume Lake. I don't like camping, but I love my friends. Friends always trump my distain for camping. They're that great.
Dexter learned to swim in the lake. He also learned how to pee and poop in it, but I opted not take those pictures. Toby, true to form, sank.
Milo, raise the bucket in front of your face, like you're eating sand, so I can show everyone how beautiful the lake is.
Thank you, son.
10. At the end of July, we got our second foster placement.
We'll call him Pickles for now. Milo and him are just over a year apart.
You will notice two things in this picture. 1. Yes, Milo's nails are dirty. He's a boy. 'Nough said. 2. Yes, Pickles is pretty much, well, clear.
Milo is intrigued by him. He loves giving him kisses, and then non-maliciously pushing him away, and on to the next thing. No jealousy issues, thankfully.
And I. Am. Busy.
11. It's hard not to compare. Pickles is younger than Milo was when we got him, fussier, whiter (obviously), and already has his own personality. He smiles in the stillness, cooes in the calm. All he asks for his your undivided attention. He holds his fists tightly together, across his chest, on gaurd. And when he's not in his element? He screams. It's a baby's prerogative.
We don't know what the future holds with Pickles. We're not in control of it. I know that. And then I forget, so then I relearn it, until the next time I forget.
12. I still get embarrassed when my babies cry in public. I just don't have time to apologize for it now. I've become one of those moms.
13. The yellow bungalow has taken a backseat lately. The weeds are growing in my backyard, the ivy needs to be trimmed back, and I haven't pruned my roses in months. Don't judge too harshly, please. I still mop daily, okay every other day.
14. I need a vacation. Maui, Cabo, or any tropical place will do. Donations are accepted. Checks can be made out to me. Thank you.
15. I still love to blog. It's therapeutic, and I've missed it. I never want to feel obligated to blog, and I don't. But I have noticed, the longer I go between posts, the harder it is to get back into it. There have been countless times this summer, I've wanted to write and share, but never bit the bullet. Until now. And it's good to be back.